Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day 25, March 30: Armistad to Bracketville, TX

42 of 42 miles.

A short ride today, a recovery ride of sorts. The first 23 miles featured smooth pavement, often taken for granted before crossing into Texas, and for which I now have great appreciation. The final 20 miles was jarringly Texas normal. It was hot, very hot, 95 + hot.

The highlight of the ride was a Stealth bomber finishing its landing pattern directly over my head as I rode past Laughlin Air Force Base. Yes, you read correctly, the highlight.

As luck would have it given the heat, tonight we are staying in the Fort Clark Springs Motel and, you guessed it, there is a spring here—the Las Moras. The stream runs at a steady 68 degrees in all seasons, and the water gathers in a large, man-made pool, which many of us enjoyed. I even did a sequence from my 1960’s aquatic ballet routine, sans the Theme from Exodus in the background. Sometimes it’s necessary to improvise.

Fort Clark was one of the U.S. Army’s line of forts along the military road from San Antonio to El Paso. It was important to the defense of frontier settlements and control of the US-Mexican border. Today it is listed as a National Register Historic District. Although it is advertised as a “gated resort”, this description requires some imagination. Our quarters tonight are in restored cavalry barracks.

I tried very hard today to find photo ops. There were few, so I’m lowering my standards.



Aptly named


The barracks

No comments: