Sunday, March 22, 2009

Day 14, March 19: Silver City, NM

Rest day

This was a well-deserved rest day as, other than the SAG drivers, most women have ridden for eight straight days on long routes through some difficult terrain. It is also the day before the major climb of the trip.

Silver City has much to explore during a short interlude. I did my exploring yesterday afternoon as I rode through town. So, today, I am interested in some, as our family calls it, personal and private time. Time to regroup, get caught up with emails and the blog, and to relax. I ordered some yarn that I found yesterday at YadaYada Yarn--love the name and the owner was very helpful. Shipped home, at no charge, to NH and no sales tax--she spoke my language.

Several of us went to dinner at Shevek's, a very nice bistro in town, where Tony and I had a wonderful dinner in November. Three hours into our meal we were still waiting for our checks. While we agreed that the food was delicious, the service was completely out of control. How many times have you had a waiter roll his eyes when you decline dessert? We just wanted to get back to the hotel to get a decent night's rest for tomorrow. So, that's it for Shevek's. Next time I'll try the Mexican restaurant at the other end of Bullock, which got rave reviews from others in our group who tried it. As the sole cab driver in town goes off duty at 7 PM, we walked the mile uphill to our hotel. The bed felt great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you go girl. i love your photos - they bring back many memories (i'd totally forgotten about those fantastic sand dunes near the chocolate mtns)

you guys must be really tough now, ready for texas.

love, sib