Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day 2, March 7: Alpine to Jacumba, CA

47 of 47 miles

The climbing started right out of the block this morning in chilly weather. It didn’t take long to shed layers as, from an elevation of 2000’ in Alpine, three times we closed in on 4000’ with a total vertical gain of about 3400’ for the day. The day ended with a descent into Jacumba at 2800’. The climbs were manageable, just very long. The appearance of large windmills atop the mountains was our first clue that, yes, perhaps there might be some wind. Twenty MPH headwinds stayed with us for most of the second half of the day. The terrain was sparsely vegetated with wildflowers and scrub brush, and huge boulders dotted the landscape. There was a lot of glass on the road—four others and I had flats.

I had my first experience riding on an interstate, just a short section of I-8 (less intimidating than riding Longboat Key in March). We passed through the small town of Pine Valley in the late morning where many riders took advantage of the assortment of pies at the local diner. I resisted the pie, but I refuse to share how many link sausage I consumed.

The climbs continued in earnest after Pine Valley, a view from the Tecate Divide being a highlight of the day.

From whence we came

Tecate Divide

We passed through the La Posta Indian Reservation and knew we were close to Mexico by the frequency of Border Patrol vehicles passing by. Eventually the border fence came into view.


By the time I arrived at the Jacumba Hot Springs Lodge, a funky 60’s style establishment, I was hallucinating about how wonderful the hot tub would feel. It did not disappoint and I pointed the jets directly at my sore lower back and the soles of my feet. Linda prepared another fabulous meal of turkey burritos and two salads. I was completely exhausted and turned in early.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The photos are great! Which camera are you using or is it someone else's? You are making me feel I am not doing enough since I just walked 3 miles in the Heart/Walk/Run. Dog beach looked pretty.Excited for you, keep posting, Marilyn