Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Day 41, April 15: St. Francisville to Hammond, LA

0 of 87 miles—SAG driver

Since I didn’t ride my bike today and the scenery was rather sketchy, it might be a good time to venture into discussion of the responsibilities that consume the time and thoughts of the SAG driver.

Example one, finding a perfect SAG stop. Now, some might think this to be a rather trivial detail. However, there are many things to consider. First and foremost, is there a place to relieve one self, preferably a public restroom, but a large tree will do? Can the riders easily see the SAG wagon? Are there menacing dogs about or fire ant mounds to wander into? Is the site scenic or does it have any other redeeming features? Is the mileage location close to the expectations of the riders?

I’m here to report that I failed on virtually all measures for my first SAG stop today. I parked the wagon on what appeared to be a quiet dirt road in front of a volunteer fire department. What I didn’t realize was that the dirt road led to the local gravel and sand pit with huge trucks going in and out at an alarming rate and speed. It also happened to be immediately adjacent to a very large Louisiana State penitentiary. And, to top it off, there were no obvious micturation spots other than between the passenger and rear car doors, a fact that doesn’t bother a good number of people.

I had a couple of trucks from the prison come to pay me a visit. They were satisfied to learn that I had no firearms in my vehicle and went on their way. Up the gravel road, I saw a cloud of dust as a loaded truck barreled toward us. Suddenly the truck pulled to a stop and the driver hopped out and introduced himself. His name was Jimmy, from Zachary, LA. Jimmy was interested in hearing all about our journey and, as is usually the case, he had several riders more than willing to fill him in on the details. Someone asked him if he could recommend a place in Zachary to have lunch. Jimmy’s reply was that he’s just a country boy and doesn’t eat out much. I insisted on getting a picture of Jimmy with his rig, and told him that his photo would be on the internet. He assured me that he would check it out. A sweet man.


Because today was a high-mileage riding day, it was a long day for me. On such days, riders are spread over long distances, and I track their progress to assure their safety and to ensure that they are adequately supplied with water and snacks. On my first pass through Watson, I checked out this crawfish joint and began to hallucinate about what a great lunch I would have today. It was not to be as there was simply no time for lunch.


SAG drivers also help to clarify route directions that might not match those provided on the cue sheet. My third SAG stop was at the turn for Mary Kinchen Road. Since the sign for said road was buried in the ditch, I parked the wagon at the turn so riders wouldn’t miss it.


A reporter from the local paper joined us for dinner tonight. She had run into Jan and Marni today at a strawberry stand, agreed to deliver the berries they had purchased to the hotel, and brought an additional flat as well. She also interviewed several riders who are raising funds for various causes.

Another duty of the SAG driver is to restock the wagon for the next day’s use, a relatively straightforward task. However, there are two five-gallon water coolers that need to be refilled with water and ice, then lugged from the hotel to the wagon—easily my least favorite part of the job. And, on a really long day like today, it’s hard to muster up the energy to get it done until after dinner. Tonight I lucked out. Dave, from Dallas, was just finishing his workout in the hotel gym as I ventured into the lobby in quest of the ice machine. He insisted on carrying the filled coolers. I gave him a “tour” of the SAG wagon. Thanks, Dave.


Then the cycle repeats. Three days of riding, one day of SAG-ing, with a rest day sprinkled in about once a week.

1 comment:

Lois Buschbacher said...

Isn't it great to have kind folks to help:) Great pics!