Sunday, April 5, 2009

Day 30, April 4: Kerrville to Blanco, TX

70 of 70

It was a delightful ride today through some beautiful country. The landscape is green, the hills are rolling, and the rivers actually have water in them.


The first break was in the tiny town of Comfort where the historic stone buildings have been carefully restored for use by small businesses and as private homes. The next stop was the town of Waring, where the general store was reminiscent of the New England variety.


There wasn’t a whole lot to buy in this general store, but it did have an adjacent large gathering room in which Wednesday night steak dinners are held, usually for a crowd of about 200 locals. Too bad we were there on a Saturday. Despite evidence to the contrary, Elisabeth and Peggy assure me that they were having a grand time relaxing near the entrance to the store.


More beautiful scenery, amidst a reminder that not all Texans welcome visitors. I took the opportunity to relieve myself inside the gate of these friendly folks.



The lunch break

A burro couple

By afternoon, the temperature was well into the 80’s as the miles were racking up. Five of us made a wrong turn at a tricky intersection that, ultimately, led to the first “walking hill” of the trip. We ended up going only about five extra miles but I managed to get overheated and hypoglycemic, a bad combination. I finally made it in to Blanco where, on shaky legs, I tried to collect my thoughts. I headed to the Dairy Queen for air conditioning, cold water, and a small cone for a quick dose of sugar. Once rejuvenated, I headed to our mom and pop motel.

Tonight is Michelle’s last night as our trip leader, so we had a mid-state margarita night. Michelle has been a wonderful presence on this journey, always with words of encouragement. She is a master bike mechanic—I’ve learned so much from her.

Michelle and Jan B.

No comments: