Sunday, April 5, 2009

Day 31, April 5: Blanco to Bastrop, TX

0 of 93 miles—SAG driver

I don’t know which is harder, riding the bike for 93 miles or driving SAG for 93 miles. I was exhausted at the end of the day as were all of the riders. The winds were strong, 20 mph and gusting to 30, sometimes helping, sometimes hindering. There were hills, not of the major variety, but enough to get your attention. Almost all of the riders completed the day. And Robin, determined to ride her first century, continued riding around the block in town until she hit 100 miles. It was after 5 pm and she had been riding for the better part of 10 hours. Yeah, Robin!

I estimate that I put about 250 miles on the SAG wagon as I ferried back and forth between the frontrunners and our slowest rider. Our route took us just to the south of the congestion of Austin through the lovely town of Wimberly, with its restored stone buildings, and Lockhart, the location of the county courthouse, also beautifully preserved.


Wildflower sightings have begun to pick up. I spotted occasional masses of Texas bluebonnets along the road sides as well as evening primroses.


No comments: