Sunday, September 30, 2012

Day 5: Elma, WA to Long Beach, WA

65 miles (of 85)

I checked out the weather report for today and expected high 40's-low 50's for the ride start. So I packed the leg warmers, headband, and full gloves in my ferried luggage. From the time I loaded baggage at  6:30 am to my 7:15 start the temperature had dropped to 38. Many people decided to "bump"--catch a SAG ride--to the first or second stop at miles 18 and 38. I decided to set out through the morning fog, with about 20 feet of visibility, using my index finger as a windshield wiper for the condensation on my glasses. I do have a flashing strobe light on the rear of my bike to alert cars approaching from behind.

When I reached the first SAG stop at 18 miles I was beyond cold. Air temperatures were still very low and the fog continued. I decided to hop into the SAG wagon and bump to the second stop. It was a very good decision. Even 20 miles later I was still shivering with teeth chattering. In addition, the mileage I missed was not particularly attractive. I was on the verge of bumping another stop when I checked a road map of the route and realized that the town I was in, Raymond, is very near the coast. The sun had finally come out and the air was beginning to warm. I forced myself out of the cocoon of the SAG wagon, warmed in the sun for a few minutes, and set off for the final 48 miles.

As the ride opened up there were many beautiful vistas of coastal farms, tidal rivers, and salt marshes. There were many long hills, all with a grade that was possible to pedal.




Our hotel tonight is on the beach, our first encounter with the Pacific. Despite being quite windy and cold at the end of the day, Sunnye and I decided to take a short beach walk with our pre-prandial brews to compare notes on our first few days of cycling.
Editorial note:  only one belongs to me

1 comment:

Judi said...

A day that ends better than it starts is a jewel to treasure.