Thursday, September 27, 2012

Day 2: Port Townsend, WA to Bremerton, WA

56 miles

Today was slightly warmer than yesterday in the morning with no fog, both welcome circumstances, and the afternoon was quite balmy. Today the elevation gain was 3500 feet with another sea level to sea level route. The hills were relentless and steep but no walking hills as there were yesterday.

The road surface on the secondary roads resembled Texas chipseal. After about 30 miles there was a short section of decent pavement and I spotted a sign for Bremerton, 23 miles, the same as the cue sheet instructions by a different route. I pondered what to do for a few milliseconds and decided to go off-route with the better road. All went well for a few miles with quite long hills but very doable grades, perhaps 5-7 %. Then the highway became divided with limited access. As I approached closer to Bremerton it became very clear that I was on a busy freeway with on and off ramps coming in greater frequency. Being a veteran of interstates on the Southern Tier, I didn't panic but rode with an excess of caution. With  five miles to Bremerton I recognized a road name from the cue sheet and exited. The only open building in the vicinity was a high school academy where I confirmed directions into the city center in the school office.

The clearer skies today opened up some nice vistas along the way.




Olympic Range from Hood Canal Bridge
To be quite honest, I was exhausted when I arrived at the hotel. The woman at the reception desk checked me in from across the lobby as I sat in a stuffed chair. In a minute or two I had my room assignment and headed up the elevator. When I reached the sign pointing me right or left depending on room assignment, it took me longer than I'd like to admit to figure out which way to turn.
Despite having a major overhaul of my bike pre-trip, I had many chain and derailler issues yesterday and today. There just wasn't enough time to deal with it yesterday at the late hour I finished the ride. Michelle, the trip leader/bike doctor, checked things out today and made some adjustments to the shifter cables and chain that should correct the problems.

No comments: