Friday, February 20, 2009

Training

Based on training guidelines provided by WomanTours and on my own research, a six-month training program is ideal, building from 75-100 miles/week in the first months to 150-200+ miles/week in the final month. Cross-training and resistance weights also have their benefits, although I did not partake.

I maintained a 75-150 mile/week schedule from February to early November, the first three months in Florida and the last six months in New Hampshire/Vermont. My typical week was 100-120 miles, interspersed with a couple of lazy weeks and a few higher mileage weeks when I cycled special events or did a multi-day trip.

Montreal Cyclefest with New London Chain Gang

Chain Gang trip to western VT, Tony relaxing to right of entrance

What the Florida terrain lacks in vertical and elevation, it makes up for in headwind intensity. Some days it seems there is a headwind regardless of the direction in which you ride. This is where the pace line comes into play, and my special talent for finding the tallest male possible to ride behind is indispensable. The hills of New England also provide challenges, usually not so much for their length as for their grade. I only walked sections of two hills last summer, and I am told that the hills we’ll be tackling in California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas are noteworthy more for their length than grade. I hope so, as I left behind the terrific granny gear with my previous bike.

I took the month of November off from training. Tony and I did a scouting trip to New Mexico to decide whether we would want to move there. While we enjoyed the visit, we prefer Sarasota for a variety of reasons. We did, however, decide to check out a section of the Southern Tier between Kingston and Silver City which we drove in the reverse of what I’ll be cycling. People often say that if you want to find out whether a road has an upgrade, ask a cyclist. I will be the first to say that you don’t need to be a cyclist to recognize these hills, as the route goes over the Continental Divide in a dizzying sort of way. Be sure to catch my post on March 20 when I will share the gory details after I ride it.

No comments: