Friday, February 20, 2009

Equipment

For the past couple of years I had been riding on what is termed a “comfort road” bike which I outfitted to my specific desires: narrower tires, better gears for hills, and a great saddle. After riding in Florida last winter, with the headwinds that swirl most days, and the cross-country trip in my sightline, I realized that I needed a true road bike with drop bars.

I have been riding a Specialized Roubaix Triple since last June, fine-tuned to my body’s peculiarities (really, do I have to explain?) by the folks at Goodale’s Bike Shop in New Hampshire. While I’ve named some of my cars, my favorite being Snaggletooth, I don’t currently have plans to name the bike.

I use a Topeak rear rack bag to store equipment and tools and as a repository for clothing no longer needed. The bag is fairly compact but has decent capacity with an expandable central compartment and panniers that fold out from the zippers on each side. The blinking fog light on the rear of the bag is a safety necessity.

Over the past few months communication has been frequent, sometimes frenzied, with my XC compatriots about equipment. A few of the women have done a XC or two previously and their suggestions for bike equipment and clothing have been most helpful. WomanTours has also provided guidance with regular correspondence addressing equipment questions and concerns. I believe I have everything that I need to be safe and comfortable during the trip. I do worry a bit about the cold, but I’ve biked at 32 degrees in dry weather and 45 degrees in rain during training, managing to stay relatively warm and dry, so I’m letting it go for now.

No comments: