Thursday, February 19, 2009

Just the Facts, Ma'am


On March 3rd I leave Tony and our winter respite in Sarasota for San Diego where I will begin a cross-country bike trip on March 6th. This journey has been in the planning and training stages for a year. I signed on with WomanTours to traverse what is known as the Southern Tier route, ending in St. Augustine on April 30.

There are 20 riders and three WomanTours staff, one trip leader for each half and our personal chef who drives the chuck wagon. We’ll cover 3,034 miles, averaging 63 miles per cycling day with one rest day per week. The longest ride is 111 miles between Sanderson and Del Rio, Texas (I hope it’s flat); the shortest ride is 32 miles on the first day out of San Diego. The route ranges from backcountry roads to some interstates where there is, unfortunately, no alternative. Most often we’ll stay in moderate motels and hotels, sprinkled occasionally with special B & B’s. The chuck wagon doubles as a gear carrier during the day.

There are four SAG (support and gear) drivers, of whom I’m one, who alternate and, hence, get an extra “rest” day every 4th day. SAG drivers from previous years tell me, however, that it’s the most tiring day because of the myriad responsibilities. These run the gamut from helping to change flats, providing emotional support to weary riders (a reality given the verticals covered on some days), purchasing and stocking food and drinks for the van, first aid, and washing dishes post dinner. Hey, the trip cost discount is substantial and I can put my dormant nursing and management skills to good use.

The structure of the trip meets all of my basic requirements: warm shower after biking, a comfortable bed every night, something other than my bike to carry my gear, and traveling with supportive women.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!
Good luck on your journey.
Wish I were going with you!
I'll be thinking of you.

Gary Frings - SMBC B ride leader.

Anonymous said...

Carol,I am Debby,Marilyn Capu... sister. It has been a lifetime since I last saw you but...what an amazing journey! WOW...your my Hero. I used to live in Venice,Fla. and I know Sarasota well,beautiful town and the keys are a bonus,Siesta key and its quartz sand...Ahhhhh. My daughter remains in Venice still. Have fun,safe return and make those wonderful memories!!!!!!